Elkhorn Crest Day 02
10/12/2016 | Elkhorn Crest, OR
The Elkhorn Crest Trail is a truly phenomenal piece of singletrack. Exquisite. The descent down from the trail is not.
I Day 02 Stats & Intro
START – STOP: Twin Lakes – HainesADDITIONAL SUPPORT PROVIDED BY
DISTANCE: 30.7 mi
ELEVATION GAIN: 1722 ft (and 6062 ft of descent!!!)
RIDING TIME: 7:00
TIME AWAKE SPENT IN PURSUIT OF THE TRIP, ROUGHLY: 8:00
POINTS OF INTEREST / OBJECTIVES:
- My objective was to sleep until the sun came up. In reality I slept until it got too cold to sleep, and after I awoke in the darkness I laid still and wide awake, listening to silence. This wasn’t my objective but I look at it as an accomplishment.
- Make it back to Haines, avoid mechanicals, keep the group together, experience the experience, breathe.
- Get close to some mountain goats. Sarah claimed that the only reason she came on this trip was for the chance to see mountain goats. Yesterday we’d seen some off in the distance, but we’re products of the Age of Me, and as such me wanted to see these things up close.
- There is a touchtone phone that someone set up off the trail. It appears halfway through the ride and allegedly connects the caller to heaven. We got a busy signal.
- The Elkhorn Crest Trail is a truly phenomenal piece of singletrack. Exquisite. The descent down from the trail is not. It’s terrifying. When you get to the end of the trail and start the descent it is not “sendsies” its more like “oh-shit-I-hope-I-don’t-roll-my-ankle-sies.” You have been warned.
- Once you get back down to lower elevations you’re probably going to run into logging operations. Our experience was that the logging truck drivers aren’t necessarily psyched that you’re there. Be patient. Practice humility. And stay vigilant.
CUE SHEET: KML DOWNLOAD
WEATHER: Yes it was cold in the morning. SO COLD. And it stayed cold for a while, especially in the shade where there was frost on top of frozen ground. Aside from that, the weather was more than alright. Again we had sun. Again it was perfect. What a way to close out a season of Dead Reckoning.