Project Y v1: Apply to Be a Subject-Athlete
01/01/2017 | Portland, OR - Your Home - Emporia, KS
Project Y v1 is a serious study of why humans pursue activities that challenge and push our emotional, physical, psychological, and spiritual limitations. The end result of this project will be a full-length documentary in which we hope to give the viewer a better understanding of why we test these limitations.
We bring to bear upon this project serious science, focused research, vetted experts, and honest intention.
If selected as a subject-athlete you will play an integral part in the research and production of this documentary.
As such we are looking for subject-athletes who are committed to a project of this nature. The project will depend on your integrity and commitment.
Above all, it is integrity and commitment we are looking for. We will be looking for subject-athletes who are able to express a true interest and honest intention in being involved in this project, because that’s what Yonder is committing to you.
II Your Invitation to Apply
III Subject-Athlete Program
As stated in the video, Project Y v1 seeks to understand why we humans are compelled to pursue activities that are mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually apocalyptic. This will be hard and it is critical that those applying to participate in this project have the same expectation.
We are looking for FIVE subject-athletes to participate in this project.
Our selected subject-athletes will receive:
Entry Into the 2017 Dirty Kanza 200
All subject-athletes will participate in the 200 mile version of the race with a Yonder Journal support crew. We encourage prospective subject-athletes to visit the Dirty Kanza website and read the rider’s bible [PDF] to get a better understanding of this event before applying.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Specialized Diverge – Training Bicycle
- Specialized Diverge – Race Bicycle
- Specialized Airnet – Helmet
- Specialized Recon – Shoes
- Project Y Kit
- Bib Shorts
- Casual Team Wear
- Cross Training Active Wear (Sweats/Ts/Caps)
- Off Bike Sandals
- Watch Cap
- Team Issue Vans
Personalized Coaching, Including Training Program
Project Y has cultivated a top-notch coaching staff to help us get the most out of our subject-athletes. Each subject-athlete will be put through a series of tests and their performance will be throughly assessed. Based on these results unique training regimens will be developed so that subject-athletes will reach peak physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual conditioning.
A Major Role in Our Documentary Project
Selected subject-athletes will play a pivotal role in helping us to understand the reason behind why we push so hard in our recreational endeavors.
IV The Four Phases of Project Y v1
#1 – Video Application
- Please include:
- Name, age, place of residence.
- Years riding, years riding dirt/gravel.
- Why you love testing yourself.
- Why you love riding dirt/gravel and the Dirty Kanza 200.
- Why you love Science.
- Why you want to be a part of Project Y V1.
- Application cutoff is 1st February 2017.
- Video applications should be submitted in 1080p resolution if possible. If not, please submit in the highest resolution your camera can record.
- Video applications should be no longer than five minutes in length.
- Submissions are now closed. Thank you to all who applied.
- If you have any questions about the submission process, please contact [email protected]
#2 – Team Camp
- Selected subject-athletes will travel to Portland, Oregon for a team camp where they will be evaluated by team of experts, equipped with gear, and assigned Dirty Kanza time goals.
- This event is slated to take place over a weekend in March 2017. Details announced soon.
- Transportation to and from team camp will be worked out on an individual basis.
- Accommodations will be provided for subject-athletes.
- This is a mandatory event for all selected subject-athletes.
#3 – Solo Training
- After team camp, subject-athletes will return to their home training environments to prepare for the race.
- Subject-athletes will be required to create 3-4 video diaries per month leading up to the race. These diaries may be, but are not limited to, interactions with the coaching staff, interactions with the other subject-athletes, and individual confessionals.
- Subject-athletes will be required to track training data so that their progress can be monitored against the regimen outlined by their coaches.
#4 – The 2017 Dirty Kanza 200
- The 2017 Dirty Kanza takes place June 3rd, 2017. All subject-athletes must be in attendance.
- Subject-athletes will be filmed and documented before, during, and after the event.
V NOTICE! Dirty Kanza Registration PSA for All Prospective Subject-Athletes
The PROJECT Y STAFF understands that our selection process will take place after registration for the 2017 Dirty Kanza opens. If you plan on racing the 2017 Dirty Kanza regardless of whether or not you’re selected to be a part of Project Y v1, then we encourage you to register for the race at your convenience. If you are selected to take part in Project Y v1 and have already registered for the 2017 Dirty K, we will reimburse your race entry fees.