Warm Springs Road: Day 01
10/07/2016 | Sun Valley, ID
If you’re going to pack up and equip bikes, Sun Valley is the place to do it it.
I Day 01 Stats & Intro
START – STOP: Sun Valley – Frenchman’s Bend Campsite
DISTANCE: 12.7 mi
ELEVATION GAIN: 1610 ft (and 6062 ft of descent!!!)MAJOR SUPPORT PROVIDED BY
RIDING TIME: 1:30
TIME AWAKE SPENT IN PURSUIT OF THE TRIP, ROUGHLY: 8:00
POINTS OF INTEREST / OBJECTIVES:
- If you’re going to pack up and equip bikes, Sun Valley is the place to do it it. There were like three bike shops, three breakfast places, and a grocery story all within a few blocks of our hotel. How easy is that?
- Breakfast at the Kneadery: where the kitsch is good but the coffee is not.
- There are many appealing campsites along Warm Springs road. We settled on the closest available site to Frenchman’s Bend Hot Springs and suggest you do the same.
- There is firewood to be had, but please scavenge with consideration.
- When going to Frenchman’s Bend Hot Springs don’t even bother with the upper spring, it’s not worth the soak—too hot and too slimy. Even if the lower/main spring is populated, just kindly introduce yourself and slip into the water. It’s a hot spring after all.
CUE SHEET: KML DOWNLOAD
WEATHER: It being October and this being the Sawtooths, we had a fair bit of trepidation about the weather heading into this trip. Internet research, friendly inquiries, and various calls to various government offices in the months and weeks leading up to our excursion all yielded the same bit of information: “It’s a crap shoot.” It had already snowed a few times in the weeks before our arrival, but on our day the sun was out and what snow there was had melted from existence. Still, when we found ourselves riding in the valley’s shadow a laden and aching cold engulfed our crew, a cold that would fully express itself later that night. But while the sun was out we rode, stood, and laughed in it and the temperature could not have been better.