“Podium Girls” – An Apology and Some Thoughts
An apology and some thoughts about Wednesday's post.
I An Apology
- Manual for Speed believes the concept and continued use of Podium Girls is archaic and ridiculous.
- More to the point, we are sorry for publishing the post titled Podium Girls on Wednesday.
- 10000%, sincerely, completely, wholly. We are sorry!
- We are sorry for causing any and all upset and harm. And for being an unfortunate reminder of how ingrained injustice and the white patriarchy is during this particularly difficult time for women, immigrants, people of color and many others in the post-election landscape.
- To be clear, our intention was to “send up” the Podium Girl institution through satire and hyperbole.
- You see, while we may be irreverent and antagonistic at times, we are not (intentionally) misogynistic jerks.
- The irony is we, like you, think this institution like many other institutions, at best suck.
- And one of the ways we express our contempt and anger and intolerance for those institutions is through satire and hyperbole.
- Obviously we need to get better, and more CLEAR, about how and when we employ satire and hyperbole.
- Adding insult to injury, we unwittingly published the Podium Girls post (a poorly executed satire) on International Women’s Day.
- When we realized what we had done and how the post actually read, we pulled it down immediately.
- But now, in the spirit of transparency and in an effort to promote and foster dialogue, we’ve republished the original words.
- Additionally, we’ve added some comments, explanations and context. You can choose to ignore them. We hope you could give us the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we’re bad at satire and hyperbole, maybe we need to work on being more sensitive and thoughtful because posting this when we did is without a doubt one of the dumbest things we’ve ever done, but we did not intentionally start a fight, we are not the enemy, and like we said at the onset: we think the concept and continued use of Podium Girls is archaic and ridiculous. That was and is the point we we’re trying to make.
- Please feel free to email us ([email protected]) with any and all comments, opinions, ideas, thoughts, etc. If you like, we will publish them (unedited) here, in this post, in the spirit of dialogue, conversation, discourse, etc.
II The Post We Should Have Published
On this, International Women’s Day, Manual for Speed would like to remind the world that the concept and continued use of Podium Girls is archaic and ridiculous.
III The Post We Did Publish
Please take the time to click on the numbered points below to read our annotations.