MFS announces the 2015 Kasual Klub initiative, roster and Clothing Collection.
Manual for Speed is committed to our continued support of Human Athletes because without them, Road Cycling would be considerably less interesting. What is a Human Athlete? A Human Athlete is an exceptionally gifted person with personality. Manual for Speed cherishes personality because personality is perspective and insight and character and context and point of view and dramatic gravity. And that shit matters. That shit is the shit, in large part, that makes cycling the Greatest Spectacle on Earth. Bottom line, these dudes, our dudes, the dudes we’re pals with, they aren’t robots. They have feelings, emotions, families, ideas, proclivities, tastes, dreams and idiosyncrasies, just like you and me. They understand that cycling is a totally awesome sport but so is sunbathing and rollerblading… and just plain Chilling. That’s why we invented Kasual Klub. Kasual Klub is for Chilling.
What is Kasual Klub? It’s a Vibe, a Crü, and a Collection of Clothes For Sale. And a Klub, obvs. There are only two ways to get in the Klub: 1) Turn yourself into an exceptionally gifted World Class Human Athlete (or equivalent), or 2) buy a Kasual Klub clothing item now available for sale in our “store”. That’s it; one way is really fucking hard, and pretty much impossible, the other way means you just have to buy a cotton t-shirt or some insane technical socks.
II The Kasual Klub VIBE
It’s always summer in your brain if you want it to be. And if it’s sunny my man, it’s chill. We don’t mean sunny sunny, at least not necessarily, I mean, you probs don’t actually have the power to make it sunny sunny, if you did, you could control the weather, and if you could control the weather then you could control the crops and the rain which means you probably have a Top Secret clandestine-type job working for the government or the UN manipulating meteorological whatnots to spread world peace and hungerlessness. Which if you could do all that, that would be chill. But no, what we mean is s-u-n-n-y sunny like in terms of outlook and attitude. Point is, being chill is up to you. You have the control. Regardless, we know this:
Being chill is good.
If you don’t believe us, believe this: it says all over the internet that being chill gives you more energy, better sleep, enhanced immunity, better problem-solving abilities (for tests and stuff), lower blood pressure, faster muscle recovery, enhanced efficiency, amplified virility, fewer headaches, less pain, and smoother more awesome emotions which means less anger, less crying, less anxiety, less depression and less frustration—which all suck. Plus being chill is sexy.
III The 2015 Kasual Klub Crü
We assembled a team of Human Athletes and sponsored them. Which means that we gave all the pros that we’re best friends with—because they’re awesome at life—a bunch of free stuff for endorsing Kasual Klub. These dudes, our dudes, are not only World-Class at VO2 Max and watts and stuff, they’re amazing at book clubs, canoeing, eating snacks, naps, Skyping, drinking coffee, doing as little as possible including avoiding stairs and unnecessary footsteps, swimming, banging rays, signing autographs and chilling. The flip side of the destroying-yourself-in-a-race-in-an-effort-to-win-it coin is doing as little as possible, like, almost pathologically so. These dudes are pros at that too. We’re sponsoring them for that, for the stuff they do on that side of the coin. Because it matters, and because these dudes are sooooooooo good at it. And because nobody else cares about this stuff. Where are the carbon fiber and magical science food sponsorships for going to a matinee on a weekday? Right here, that’s where, we are that sponsorship.
Why these guys? Why are these Human Athletes THE Official Kasual Klub Crü? That’s a great question. Instead of answering it with boring words we made these Kasual Klub Crü Kards to demonstrate the answer. Side Note: We commissioned World Famous court reporter and cycling journalism dog, Manuel, to travel around the world, spend a day with our dudes, and illustrate (exactly) what he saw. We said to Manuel, “Manuel, don’t follow these dudes to a race, we have cameras for that, just go to them and chill while they chill. And illustrate all that chilling exactly how you saw it go down. Also, ask them these five highly illuminating questions; 1.) How old are you?, 2) What’s your star sign?, 3) Where were you born?, 4) What’s your favorite planet?, and 5) Who is your style icon?. When you’re done, we will make trading cards and publish them on our website. And maybe if it goes well, inside the three-dimensional physical world too.”
- Dan Chabanov — TEAM: CRCA/Foundation / PALMARES: A bunch of Red Hook Criteriums and a bunch of cyclocross races / SKILLZ: Russian stuff.
- Lucas Euser — TEAM: United Healthcare Pro Cycling / PALMARES: 2013 Tour of Utah 3rd Place GC / SKILLZ: Growing hair.
- Phil Gaimon — TEAM: Optum Pro Cycling p/b Kelly Benefits / PALMARES: 2014 Tour de San Luis 2nd Place GC (1st Place Stage 1) / SKILLZ: Writin’.
- Nathan Haas — TEAM: Cannondale-Garmin / PALMARES: 2012 Tour of Britain 1st overall / SKILLZ: Segway TriX.
- Alex Howes — TEAM: Cannondale-Garmin / PALMARES: 2014 USA Pro Challenge 1st Place Stage 7 / SKILLZ: Animals.
- Brady Kappius — TEAM: Team CLIF Bar Cycling / PALMARES: 2015 USA Cycling CX Nationals 12th Place / SKILLZ: ZZZzzzz.
- Pete Morris — TEAM: Team CLIF Bar Cycling / PALMARES: 2014 Colavita NorCal Grand Prix 1st Place / SKILLZ: B-O-D
- Lachlan Morton — TEAM: Jelly Belly Pro Cycling / PALMARES: 2013 Tour of Utah and USA Pro Challenge 1st Place Young Rider Classification (1st Place Stage 3 Tour of Utah) / SKILLZ: Thrifting.
- Evan Murphy — TEAM: Lupus Racing (UCI Continental) / PALMARES: 2015 Cherry Pie Criterium 1st Place (two days ago) / SKILLZ: Smiling =)
- Kyle Murphy — TEAM: Lupus Racing (UCI Continental) / PALMARES: 2013 Tour of the Catskills 6th Place GC / SKILLZ: Creepin’.
- Kiel Reijen — TEAM: United Healthcare Pro Cycling / PALMARES: 2013 & 2104 Philadelphia International Cycling Classic, 1st Place / SKILLZ: Q’ing.
IV The 2015 Kasual Klub Clothing Collection
Based on research and focus groups we scientifically know that you don’t need to buy anything for chilling. In fact sometimes being naked is the ULTIMATE chill. But we live in a puritanical society and societies have rules, especially when they’re puritanical. Also, weather and mother-in-laws and stuff. And also, awkward sunburns don’t just show-up magically, you have to work for them. For those reasons, and in effort to make a little bit of operational pocket money, we asked Thomas Slater to draw some stuff that we could screen print onto other stuff, so that then we could sell the completed stuff on the internet, so that YOU could be in the Kasual Klub. To showcase that stuff we met Braddy Kappius in Austin, Texas and took pictures of him chilling in the alleys behind, and basements below, various business on Guadalupe Street. Without further ado, we present to you our Spring 2015 Lookbook.
V The Kasual Klub Bylaws
- It’s always summer if it’s summer in your brain.
- Be excellent to each other.
- Fixed waistbands are a form of fundamentalism and fundamentalism is bad—life is better with elastic.
- Same goes for laces.
- Pants are nice but shorts… are shorts.
- No shirt, no shoes, no problem.
- Suns out buns out.
- Take shortcuts.
- My other Bus Pass is a Razor Scooter.
- Zinka? Check. Coconut Oil? Check.
- Don’t get up.
- Sofa time is training time.
- Snack attack.
Kasual Klub is NOT exclusive, it’s inclusive. Buy some shit and come on in, the chilling is so niiiiiiiiiiiiiice!