2014 Tour Down Under: People’s Choice Classic
"There is no point, it's just a little warm-up for the rest of the week."
I THREE THINGS THAT HAPPENED BEFORE THE FAKE RACE
- Police accused one of Tubular Tommy’s Pop-up Guerrilla Sausage Sizzle’s guests of inappropriate comments and lewd sausage waving.
- At the end of the race, before the start of the award ceremony, the event played Let it Roll by Flo Rida.
- At some point near the start/finish of today’s fake race we chased down Graham Watson stalker/fanboy-style. What follows is a transcript of our conversation. Side Note: the following transcript may, and should, serve as a realtalk breakdown/synopsis of today’s fake race.
- MFS: Graham Watson, you don’t know me, but I know you, I know that you are Graham Watson, I know that you are a preeminent cycling photographer, in fact I think you might be [air quotes] THE cycling photographer. Of like, our generation or whatever.
- GW: No, no I’m not, I’m not THE cycling photographer.
- MFS: Okay, okay I see. Would you accept: One of THE cycling photographers et cetera, et cetera.
- GW: Hmmm, yeah, okay. One of THE, but not THE.
- MFS: What do I need to know about today’s stage?
- GW: [silence]
- MFS: Okay, so like what do we need to know about the character of today’s race, what’s happening, what’s it all about?
- GW: [continued silence and then] Nothing is happening, it’s a one hour race.
- MFS: Umm okay, but what’s the point?
- GW: There is no point, it’s just a little warm-up for the rest of the week.