2014 Tour Down Under: Stage 04
When I approached Graham Watson at the start of the bike thingy this morning, two things; he was sitting on the back of his Photo Moto with his eyes closed like mid-zen-style, and when he opened his eyes and saw me approaching (clearly in pursuit of an interview, again) he gave me a low-five like straight away, just like that, like we were buds. Boom.
I Project #GrahamGram
II Today's Retraction is being replaced (today) by Today's Elaboration
Yesterday we shared with our MFS readership the discovery of a mindblowing, NEXT LEVEL health and wellness, proto-energy drink called Farmers Union Iced Coffee, or FUIC. While we mentioned its healing and rejuvenating powers, which healing and rejuvenating powers are legitimate, we failed to adequately describe the experience of drinking/consuming a FUIC, and/or communicate any details about its physical properties.
- First of all, you need to know that I’m currently about halfway through a liter-sized carton of FUIC this very minute, like right now-this-instant, like as-I-write-this-TDU-installation-report at (FTR) approximately 1:15 AM in the morning January 24. I have FUIC breath.
- FUIC is mocha colored, and FUIC smells like mocha, kinda.
- Thirdly, FUIC has the viscosity of 10w40 motor oil, the high mileage synthetic kind the dudes at Jiffy Lube are always trying to upsell you on.
- FUIC tastes like and feels like you’re drinking melted chocolate ice cream infused with a subtle hint of espresso flavoring—just a hint!
- FUIC works immediately to make everything feel better, you know like when you smoke marijuana, and like five minutes later your toes suddenly start to feel noticeably good, and that feeling slowly but perceptibly begins to radiate outward from your toes into the rest of your body including your brain mind. Drinking a FUIC is like that.
- FUIC is the beverage of choice for 89% of Australian Tradies.
- FUIC is proudly made in Australia at Salisbury SA, Penrith NSW.
- FUIC ingredients: Reduced fat milk, milk solids, sugar, coffee powder (MIN 0.4%), flavours and vegetable gum (407).
- “It’s scientific fact that flavoured milk drinks like FUIC or Nippy’s Iced Honeycomb (NIHc) outsell Cokes and other sodas in Adelaide. Also, while we’re on the subject, in Australia bicycles outsell cars.”—Josh
- Dear @issteph, thank you very much for the recommendation. Tomorrow somewhere on Willunga, I will try my first Nippy’s.
30 AUSTRALIAN ANIMALS THAT CAN KILL YOU A MANUAL FOR SPEED PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
- Box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri)
- Honey bee (Apis mellifera)
- Irukandji (Carukia barnesi)
- Bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas)
- Eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis)
- Saltwater or estuarine crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)
- Sydney funnel web spider (Atrax robustus)
- Blue-ringed octopus (Genus Hapalochlaena)
- Coastal taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus)
- Common death adder (Acanthopis antarticus)
- Cone shells (Conus sp.)
- Dugite or spotted brown snake (Pseudonaja affinis)
- Mulga snake or king brown snake (Pseudechis australis)
- Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)
- Tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)
- Tiger snake (Notechis scutatus)
- Great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
- Yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platurus)
- Bluebottle (Physalia physalis)
- Common lionfish (Pterois volitans)
- Collett’s snake (Pseudechis colletti)
- Highland copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)
- Inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
- Redback spider (Lactodectus hasselti)
- Reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)
- Smooth toadfish (Tetractenos glaber)
- Blue-bellied black snake (Pseudechis guttatus)
- Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus)
- Bull ant (Myrmercia pilosula)
- Giant centipede (Ethmostigmus rubripes)
Today's Playlist Fresh 92.7 FM was on fire today!
- 1 Bassjackers Crackin (Martin Garrix Edit)
- 2 Needle MOver Stop, Drop and Roll
- 3 Ibranovski Viscious
- 4 Apster Photobomb
- 5 Martin Solveig and Dragonette Hello
- 6 The ASton Shuffle Your Love
- 7 ROGERSEVENTYTWO You Take Me Higher (Annual 2012 Edit)
- 8 Otto KNows Million Voices
- 9 Dillon Francis feat. TEED Without You (Treasure Fingers Remix)
- 10 Matrix & Futurebound feat. Max Marshall Control
- 11 Fedde Le Grand & DI-RECT Where We Belong
- 12 Steve Hart Can You Dig It
- 13 Dillon Francis feat. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs Without You
- 14 Grum In Love
V Manual for Speed Human Athlete Celebrity Stalk #1: Marcel Kittel
MFS followed Marcel Kittel from the TEAM GIANT TDU-issue minivan to the sign-in area. After giving an interview, posing with small children, posing with a group of adults and publicly signing his name on a dry erase board, Marcel had a moment to talk with MFS about shit that really matters, his hair—enough with the racing and the bikes and the legs and the blah blah blah!
- MFS: Where did you get your haircut and how much did it cost?
- MK: I got my haircut in Adelaide, it cost me $70 and it was the most expensive haircut I’ve ever had. I normally pay $30 at most.
- MFS: Are you aware that the internet (namely @tubulartommy though he has considerable support, a groundswell really, regarding his opinions) has accused you of being awesome, more or less the same way Val Kilmer was awesome in the Hollywood blockbuster Top Gun?
- MK: What do you mean?
- MFS: I mean that thousands, if not millions, of people think you look like Val Kilmer when Val Kilmer was a B.A. fighter pilot named Ice Man, not Val Kilmer now because now he’s fat and you have many years of racing ahead of you before you are fat, most likely.
- MK: (confidently laughing, head thrown rakilshly-but-not-so-much-as-
to-be-too-much back) Of course, of course, I understand you now, there is a similarity, right?!
Side Note: After the finish we FINALLY made it to the Giant/4SHAW sock dealer in Adelaide. While there we spoke with a young man who works there called Ash. Naturally the subject of Marcel’s hair eventually came up, and when it did Ash had this to say: “When he was in here earlier this week he told me he spent $100 on his haircut. I asked him where he went, and he told me Parlour on Rundell St. because someone told him they were the best hair salon in all of Australia. But he should have gone to Boys Club Barber Shop where he would have only paid $30, and gotten a beer, for free!”
VI Stage 04
Stirling M1 (Princess Highway / South Eastern Freeway) Overpass (approx. 10km)
SKODA King of the Mountain: Reservoir Road, Myponga (95.7km)
Victor Harbor, BUPA Challenge Tour and Finish (148.5km)